Koe no Katachi | The Shape of Voice


“Back then, if we could have heard each other’s voices, everything would have been so much better.”

A Japanese manga series that will captivate your heart, that’s what Koe no Katachi is. Written and illustrated by Yoshitoki Oima, you’ll get to experience mixed emotions as you read the story from the first to its last chapter. Feel the drama, enjoy the romance and relate to the slice of life plot of the story.

Shouko Nishimiya

The story centers on Shouya Ishida, a boy who always look for ways to beat boredom. Weirded out by his new classmate, Shouko Nishimiya, whom has severe hearing loss, he picks on her day after day, alongside his friends back when he was in elementary school unaware of the effects of his thoughtless actions. 


It got to the point where Nishimiya transferred to another school, and all of his friends and teachers turned against him. They begin to ostracize and bully him every chance they get instead. After a few years, Ishida learned sign language and started looking for Nishimiya as he’s determined to right his wrongs.


Though there’s bits and pieces of romance here and there, it is not the main theme of the story at all. So don’t go into the series expecting it to be. Despite that, Koe no Katachi is a jewel that no one should miss. It deals with realistic and interesting topics such as the two sides of bullying and its ripple effects everyone. It is also about a lot of things like disabilities, difficult friendships, regrets and the kind of depression and guilt ordinary people deal with.

“If crying will solve anything… I want you to cry.”

Maybe the reason why I love the manga is because I can relate to it. When I was reading it, I can’t help but remember some painful memories when I was in high school. I was someone who didn’t fit well in the class and people will only talk to me if they need something. I was the class ‘weirdo’ who always spend my time with books on my hand and hardly talk to anyone unless I needed to. I was criticized and people talk behind my back.

Reading the series while remembering my high school days, I can say that you don’t have to be ugly, poor or disabled to be bullied or shunned and be an outcast. As long as other people thinks you’re different and inferior, they’ll pick on you.



Koe no Katachi is simply beautiful and sad. Between so many distressing moments, everything has been beautifully written and thought out. I have to say that the characters have been great. I cried, agonized and hoped with them. See them change, and even hurt each other as they matured, has been one of the best parts of the manga. It has a sweet and satisfying ending.


It is also known as A Silent Voice to many English readers.

25 comments:

  1. what an interesting post to read on a monday morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting (omoshiroi)! I love Japanese art and animae. Loved your take on their story! Tfs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post. my son love anime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds like something many can benefit from when it comes to school bullies and mobbing. I identify with yor memmories in school, about being different. I also spent many days with my nose buried in my books and was bulllied in boarding school. I forgave my bullies, and now realise hurting people hurt others and many young people are just giving in to peer pressure without realising they could be ruining someones life. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like there is a really important message to be read here. I have a son who has been bullied in school. It's never an easy thing to go through. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be an intriguing read. I will have to check this out. Bullying is definitely a tough subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read. Sucks that our kids have to deal with so much bullying

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I love the topic, especially about the bully being bullied and getting a taste of his own medicine. It's something many can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great read. I love that there's a lesson in it too, and that it shows both sides of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for letting me know not to expect a romance. From the pics, I would have. No worries though, it does still sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. I order the manga for my library and am always interested in what people are reading and what has a good story to it. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a very compelling series to get involved in and can teach people about both sides of the story. Im sorry that you had to go through bullying.

    xo
    Molly
    www.allaboutgoodvibes.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would be nice to read a series like this especially if you're in high school and you feel the same way. It's sounds like it has a lot of lessons as well and it's something that people can relate to. I can certainly see myself, it's not easy being different but now that I'm older, I'm glad I was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sounds like an interesting story. It would be good for kids to read in high school -might help them to get perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was often talked about and bullied for being different and it's never easy when you have other issues in your life. I think this mangga is worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love reading comic books. I find it diverting seeing the characters facial expression in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like manga so I love your pics. And that post was also very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love japanese manga. I haven't read this one yet. It sounds like something I'll love reading. Checking it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seems like an incredible story!! I love Japanese Manga!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't read a good manga in ages! My sister is really into this though so I'll be sharing with her :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I use to read manga all the time. My favorite was sailor moon. I really need to get back into it again. I miss it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like something that would be great for high school students to read. With the plague of bullying in our schools, this story may make them realize how much pain they could be causing others.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My kids are manga fans and are somewhat expert at the genre. I've seen quite a number of films with them but not this one. I will share it and perhaps see it too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wonder where I could get a copy of it. I would love to read this with the kids. It has a lot of moral values.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.